Most effective therapies for those with breast cancer
In new clinical guidelines from the Society for Integrative Oncology in the US, researchers analysed which integrative treatments are most effective and safe for patients with breast cancer.
The researchers evaluated more than 80 different therapies and used systematic evaluation of peer reviewed randomised clinical trials to make the following recommendations:
1. Use of music therapy, meditation, stress management and yoga for anxiety and stress reduction
2. Use of meditation, relaxation, yoga, massage and music therapy for depression and mood disorders
3. Use of meditation and yoga to improve quality of life
4. Use of acupressure and acupuncture for reducing chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting
5. A lack of strong evidence supporting the use of ingested dietary supplements or botanical products as part of supportive care and/or to manage breast cancer treatment-related side effects.
About: The Society for Integrative Oncology is a multi disciplinary professional organisation for integrative oncology and is a not for profit organisation.